Wednesday 14 May 2014

Danol's Retribution - Reaver-Class Titan of the Legio Invigilata

Candy Coating and Checks Tutorial


From the black undercoat I basecoated with Hull Red and then layered up through Flat Red and then Flat Yellow to give a result as below.







Then using a very thinned down clear red I candied the armour, it is basically an airbrushed glaze of a transparent colour.






This results in a lovely rich red.  I then gave the entire thing a coat of clear to protect the red when I use the masking tape.

Whilst the varnish dries the squares are drawn and cut out.



Each square is attached with care to create a chess board ensuring that the squares are firmly pressed down.

Then I basecoated the entire armour plate again in Beige, layering up through Pale Sand and then White.  Thin coats are a must ensuring each coat is dry  before proceeding to the next.  Once totally dry remove the squares and your done.






A simple technique that just requires a little time, care and patience but well worth it in the end.  It has been mentioned to me that it would have been easier to do the cream/white first then the red however there is a valid reason for this reversal.  When candying the red the clear red leaves an almost plastic coating so that when removing the tape you run the risk of it peeling off the clear coating, I encountered this problem when I painted the oil marks on the pistons, for the pistons I eventually got around the problem by removing the tape whilst the paint was still wet however for this check pattern there are many bits of tape whereas on the pistons just one per piston so it was easy to paint one piston and remove the tape. But if the red was done without the clear red candying involved I would have done the lighter colour first and then the darker.

No comments:

Post a Comment